Valentines Day is fast approaching and one of the best ways to get someones attention is a beautiful smile. So here is our friendly public service announcement to help you have and maintain a healthy glowing smile for that special someone.
1. Brushing at least 2x every day can help reduce bacteria in your mouth that cause gum disease and tooth decay.
2. Flossing cleans all of the spaces that brushing can't reach. Leaving food and bacteria in between your teeth will make the gums red and uncomfortable. Not flossing also contributes to bad breath and gums that bleed.
3. Cleaning the tongue with either a tongue scraper or your tooth brush helps to remove bacteria and the coating of food that gets left on the tongue. Leaving that microfilm of food and bacteria on the tongue also contributes to bad breath.
4. Rinsing with an antibacterial mouth wash can also help reduce bacteria the mouth not only on teeth and tongue but also all of the other areas bacteria can fester including the roof of the mouth and the soft tissue inside of the cheeks.
5. Drinking coffee, tea, red wine or dark soda can contribute to extrinsic staining of the teeth. To help combat staining try rinsing with water after drinks that stain.
6. There are numerous ways to get rid of stain and whiten teeth. Over the counter products usually remove extrinsic stains caused by the things we eat and drink. In office bleaching treatments can actually change the color of the teeth, but before doing such treatments each individual should be evaluated by a dentist.
7. Regular dental visits can keep teeth clean and looking their best and also make sure there aren't any infections or decay.
8. Wearing lip stick or lip gloss with red/blue undertones also trick the eye into thinking the teeth are whiter due to the contrast.